Wow, has it been nearly a whole month since I posted? I've been working on several things ... including a couple more of the tatted pieces for the TAT Master's program. I'll post pictures after everything is done and has been evaluated --just hope I won't have to re-tat much. I've finally gotten a 3D bee that looks presentable but I've got a half dozen (in various stages) that didn't suit what I wanted to accomplish.
I decided for a bit of a change to work on the May Challenge from eTatters (soon to be eCraftWorld) at http://www.etatters.com/showthread.php?t=3541.
I decided to call this a Daisy mat for want of a better name. All the daisy flowers consist of 8 rings (both true rings and split rings) and the buds are all split rings. The far left of the picture is part of my progress (instructions later!). This is worked frontside/backside with all split rings on the front side and split ring joins accomplished using the technique on the right side of the picture. All "normal" joins were treated as the first half of the next stitch with normal rings worked using Shuttle 2 as RODS. Since I'm still working on the piece, it hasn't yet been blocked.
The daisy flower rings are variations of 2 - 5 - 5 - 2 with the split rings being either 2 - 5 / 2 - 5 or 5 - 2 / 5 - 2 (written in working order). All the picots on the daisy flowers should appear as small or construction picots. The buds are all split rings with those in the "line of progression" being 2 -- 2 -- 2 -- 2 / 2 -- 2 -- 2 -- 2 (where -- is a longer picot). Buds at the ends of the rows are asymmetrical ... more complete instructions later.
The technique for split ring joins is one I came across in some of my stuff from Bobbie Demmer, courtesy of RoseMarie Peel of the United Kingdom ... aren't her diagrams WONDERFUL! This technique goes 'hand-in-glove' with the lesson taught at Palmetto Tatters at our April meeting.