Wednesday, December 18, 2019

More ornaments in the works

Although it’s been a while since I posted, I have been working on more Ice Drops, Snowflakes and finally an Angel. The angel was inspired by a brooch that I have from Bobbie Demmer’s collection. I won the pin at CWT but didn’t really like the tassels although they do seem ethereal.

I chose instead to add more of a skirt/robe that is more substantial. The skirt was inspired by Monica Hahn’s Angel #2 from DMC’s Festive Tatting. In size 20, the overall length is 4.5” (~12 mm) tall and 3.75” (~9 mm) wide. It was tatted in two pieces. Because this was a tat as I went with no notes to work from other than what was in my head, there were a lot of retro tats but I didn’t have to resort to the scissors until it was time to cut away from my shuttles to tie the ends together securely and then hide them.

I have also realized (AGAIN, duh!!) that I really, really like tatting with a cordonnet thread rather some of the threads that had been given to me by others. The angel and some of the snowflakes I've been doing the last six or so weeks were from a ball of Aunt Lydia size 20 thread. It is NOT mercerized well and is only a 3-cord twist. It is just barely smooth enough with which to tat using a shuttle. 

No comments: