Saturday, January 5, 2013

Beginnings and Passages

With a New Year, we all think of beginnings and make resolutions. But beginnings are precluded by endings ... rather passing through yet another doorway. Philosophy has never been my strongest point but the passing of my mother has given me many quiet moments for thought. On my father's side, she was the last of the generation. Mother was the oldest of all the cousins on her side and all the surviving cousins were saddened by her passing; there was a real reason she was known as "Sister."

Yet other doorways have opened. Two of my sister's children have bought their first homes. Both my sisters and my brother are grandparents with one sister a great-grandmother. One of my nieces has just had a baby and another is expecting in April. It's so strange to think of all those little girls and boys being grown up, with responsible jobs and having children of their own.

I've done a bit of tatting but have completed half of the challenge that my mentor, Bobbie, gave me in June of 2011. I have completed one hand-knit sock (I can't believe i actually turned the heel ... we just won't say how many times I had to attempt it before I was successful) and only lack about two inches on the second before starting the heel. I just shouldn't have used 4" DPNs as they have a tendency to dig into my palms. Once I get the second sock completed, I'll post a picture.

For the coming year, I hope to continue to gain skills I've wanted to learn and would challenge everyone else to do the same. I'm actually teaching my husband and younger son how to do some cooking (will be better on the pocketbook for sure). They've been raiding my cookbooks and recipe box for easy meals. They are starting to get a better understanding of the time and preparation that goes into preparing meals. I just need to be a bit more patient with them. I'll also need to write out preparation directions that I always took for granted. Hubby plans to make another attempt the weekend at Lemon Chess pies but I'm not sure anyone can make them like my grandmother did ... Slim's pies were famous!

Jane E will be starting another TIAS soon and I am resolved to participate more as I haven't done so in several years. I really have missed that and they are so much fun. I've also resolved to do quite a bit more tatting with the goal to get enough snowflakes completed so that all my nieces and nephews can add to their trees in December ... they won't all be white because I have a lot of stash that isn't white. We won't talk about the entire boxes of DMC white in 70 and 100 that I have!


No comments: